Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hard To Pick A Favorite Out Of This Many.....

As we get ready for what we hope will be a fantastic 2010 racing season I thought that it would be fun to go through all of the tracks that I have visited over the years and give just a brief statement about each. As you will see from this list, I really love to visit a new-to-me racetrack for the first time as each facility and its racers seem to have its own personality traits. I am also anxious to hear your brief descriptions of the tracks that you have visited and I will especially be interested in hearing about tracks that I have not yet been to. So send your descriptions to news@positivelyracing.com and I will look forward to including some of the responses here on the “Back Stretch”. Here we go….

Iowa

34 Raceway, Burlington – After working for Larry Kemp here for six years in the mid-80’s I have to consider this 3/8-mile high banked oval as my “home track”. When they added the new grandstand, the VIP Suites and the Musco lighting it became a first class facility as well.

Adams County Speedway, Corning – This half-mile oval really packed them in every time I have visited over the years with solid car counts in all divisions.

Algona Raceway, Algona – Two stops during the Fair has provided me with some good action in a festive atmosphere.

Audubon Speedway, Audubon - Banked and tacky fast, this place is unique and I know that FastTrackFan and many others, including me, would be glad to see it reopen.

Benton County Speedway, Vinton – A little over 100 miles from home, but still a Sunday night option due to the efficient program that is consistently presented. Plenty of action on the quarter-mile and still home before 11 p.m., amazing!

Blackbird Bend, Onawa – Made it down there on a Friday night when my son Kyle was playing in the State High School Golf tournament in Orange City. Saw a good night of racing with a nice car count, but the facility looked like it was built to be temporary.

Bloomfield Speedway, Bloomfield – In my opinion a perfectly configured racetrack. Wide and racy, I don’t ever remember seeing a one-grooved follow the leader event. Has had trouble getting a solid weekly show established though despite some good efforts from a series of promoters.

Boone Speedway, Boone – This place should host other promoters as a clinic to show how a special event should be run. What they do at the IMCA Super Nationals is just incredible given the shear number of cars and races that are presented during the week. And the two weekly shows that I have been to over the years have been impressive as well.

Buena Vista Raceway, Alta – My two visits here were during the old NKF Tour days and both nights were fantastic. Long straights and tight turns make for some entertaining racing and hey, how could you not like a track that races weekly on Wednesday nights? It’s like bonus action that nobody else in the country gets to enjoy!

CJ Raceway, Columbus Junction – This was one of the two tracks that I “grew up” at watching the old Mississippi Valley Speedway Club drivers compete. The long half-mile was cut down several years back, but the levee is still there off of turn two and when a driver rides the levee it is the ultimate “pushin’ the cushion”.

Cedar County Raceway, Tipton – I used to spend every Sunday night here when my friend John Vantiger raced a Street Stock. Still a great “small town Iowa” place to go racing on a raised quarter-mile.

Crawford County Speedway, Denison – Spent a few nights here when Howard Mellinger was promoting this incredibly fast half-mile. Hopefully weekly racing can return here someday.

Cresco Speedway, Cresco – Manager of “The Mighty Howard County Fair” Tom Barnes was the first to ever a book an NKF Tour event back in 1999 so this place will always hold a special place in my heart. That and the fact that some of the friendliest people I know (Steve Holthaus, Jeff Larson, Blaire Benzing and many more) were there to have fun with in the pits afterwards.

Davenport Speedway, Davenport – Two tracks in one! I have a lot of memories of Friday night racing on the half-mile back in the late 70’s and early 80’s featuring Ray Guss Sr., Ronnie Weedon, John Simenec and many more, well before the quarter-mile was ever built. And it is on the short track that I can still close my eyes and see Ken Schrader driving the Red Baron Pizza #90 Late Model racing four-wide for several laps during the feature at one of the early IMCA Summer Series events.

Dubuque Speedway, Dubuque – I wish this place was about thirty miles closer to home. The configuration of this track just lends itself to great racing with drivers running high, low and everywhere in between. Plus, as a big Ace Ihm fan, I also have to be a fan of his home track!

Echo Valley Speedway, West Union – A top-notch facility and track built just outside of a small town that already had a track. Go figure. The Hansmeier’s treated me great when they hosted NKF Tour events and the racing action that I saw there was very good.

Eldon Raceway, Eldon – I spent many a Saturday night at the Super Half-Mile back in the mid-seventies as my cousins Dean & Jean Church would pick me up on their way to the track to see Bill Zwanziger, Dick Schiltz, Jerry Pilcher, Johnny Babb and others do battle. The fairboard is trying to keep the place alive by hosting five nights of racing this season.

Farley Speedway, Farley – Another facility that is now two tracks in one. The half-mile is very fast and very wide while the new 3/8-mile is coming into its own. Go early and enjoy a great meal at “The Palace” right there on the grounds.

Fayette County Speedway, West Union – The first memory that comes to mind from here is back when they had the Two Driver Cruisers they would line them up on the infield facing the frontstretch and start the race from a standing start. Very entertaining! A good racetrack that I need to get back up to sometime now that it has reopened.

Greene County Speedway, Jefferson – My only trip here was for an NKF Tour event about ten years ago. Nice little facility, is it still in a condition that would allow for racing there someday?

Hamilton County Speedway, Webster City – Even though this place is almost four hours from home I have been there several times for special events first while Howard Mellinger was promoting, and later with Al Uhrhammer at the helm. Uhrhammer and his staff were fantastic to work with and we staged some great early season events for the NKF Tour when the weather allowed. I love the black dirt and I love entering the place and looking down the hill to see this historic track.

Hancock County Speedway, Britt – I spent a couple of Memorial Day Monday’s here about a decade ago and I really enjoyed the racing here. Hopefully Joe Ringsdorf can make a success of it on Thursday nights this year. Like I said about Alta, it is bonus racing that only we here in the Midwest get to enjoy!

Hawkeye Downs Speedway, Cedar Rapids – A lot of great memories here from the old days of dirt as it was often my Friday night destination when I first got my license. I was actually the track announcer there the first year that it was paved. As a dirt track fan, I just don’t get there too much anymore.

Highway 3 Raceway, Allison – A track that was brought back to life a little over ten years ago it is good that they are seeing some success running a “specials only” schedule. Fast track in a nice some small town, the hometown of my brother-in-law Loni Woodley and the school where my high school basketball coach Jim Kelly came from.

I-35 Speedway, Mason City – Do you ever go to a track for the first time and discover it was nothing like what you had envisioned? That was my first experience with Mason City as in my mind I had it pictured as being much shorter and much less racy. I don’t know why I thought that, but let’s just say that I was pleasantly surprised to find this big fast half-mile.

Independence Motor Speedway, Independence – I have made it up here for several special events over the years and even a few weekly shows, but I have to tell you that is like going to a completely new track now. Sitting near the top of the new grandstand last season gave me a sight-line that I had never experienced here before and made the racing look even better than it had before! Can a track ask for better car counts than this place consistently gets?

Iowa Speedway, Newton – My only visit was last May for the Camping World East-West Challenge and I am proud that Iowa has such a first class facility for this type of racing.

Iowa State Fair Speedway, Des Moines – A lot of history here! I can still remember being at the Fair one year and hoping to go to the races that night only to have a heavy storm hit the area midday. They brought in a helicopter to hover over the track to try to help dry it out, but another round of rain close to the targeted starting time wiped that effort out. Even today, being in that big grandstand pulls up a lot of old cherished memories.

Jackson County Speedway, Maquoketa – This is one track that isn’t far from home that I need to get to more often. I remember catching a couple of exciting Hawkeyeland Pro Stock Championship events at this egg-shaped short track.

Knoxville Raceway, Knoxville – I thank my lucky stars often that I am only 90 miles away from this world class facility. I can’t remember that last season that I went to more nights at any one track other than Knoxville and I had the huge honor of serving as one of the track announcers there in 1998.

Lee County Speedway, Donnellson – This place struggled for years, heck I even tried promoting it and failed in ’92, well before Lynn Richard worked his magic. Terry and Jenni Hoenig would be the first to admit that it took them some time to get the hang of it after taking over from Richard, but the learning curve is complete. They put on a great show and I am proud to work on the annual “Shiverfest” event with them.

Marshalltown Speedway, Marshalltown – I have memories from two eras with this gem. I can close my eyes and see Larry Phillips three-wheeling his Late Model through one and two back in the late 80’s and, closer to the present, I see a jam-packed pit area in front of the setting sun on another great night of IMCA action.

Rapid Speedway, Rock Rapids – The rustic grandstand sticks in my mind from my one and only visit here.

Shelby County Speedway, Harlan – I have been here twice. Once for an MLRA Late Model show and once for an NKF Tour event. Both saw good racing with nice car counts.

Southern Iowa Speedway, Oskaloosa – How can you beat weekly racing on a Wednesday night!! I head up to Osky as often as my schedule allows and the unique race night has allowed me to see a wide variety of drivers there over the years. That was where I first saw Billy Moyer driving a Sportsman class car back in the 70’s and now, with the Terry McCarl promoted sprint shows as well, this place is a treat for the fans in eastern Iowa.

Stuart Speedway, Stuart – It seems like my visits to Stuart are always threatened by weather, so maybe I am a jinx. I did see a great IMCA Stock Car series event there one night though under clear skies.

Upper Iowa Speedway, Decorah – We ran two NKF Tour events here in 2000 and 2001 and what a beautiful setting this is from the covered grandstand to the view of the surrounding area. The short track has little or no straightaway to it so it makes for a unique night of racing.

Warren County Speedway, Indianola – We stopped at this Figure 8 track after Kyle’s baseball team lost in the state baseball semi-finals in Des Moines on a bang-bang play at the plate where the call did not go our way. The racing was good enough to cheer us back up.

West Liberty Raceway, West Liberty – This is the other track that I grew up at as my parents or grandparents probably had me at every race night here through the 70’s. Mel Morris was my favorite, but they were all my heroes back then….and actually the majority of racers that I see anywhere still are my heroes today. This track is uniquely shaped for a half-mile with shorter straights and big sweeping turns, plus where else do you see big trees still left standing in the infield?

Greenbelt Speedway, Eldora – They used to pack this place on a Sunday night and the car count was good enough for a few years that I would make the trip.

Hawkeye Raceway, Blue Grass – My first visit here was back when they used to race weekly on both Friday and Saturday nights. Verne Schumann pioneered the Fall Series of racing and its early success is why you still see a full calendar of events through October around here. I spent many spectacular Fall Sunday afternoon’s in my lawn chair here watching drivers from all over the Midwest in competition.

Henry County Fairgrounds, Mt. Pleasant – I lived four blocks from here when I was just a kid and my father was one of the Jaycees who used to help put on the events. It is weird that I really don’t have a vivid memory of watching a race here back in the sixties, but to this day I will still have a random dream where I am at a race here complete with the wooden guardrails and the covered grandstand for the softball diamonds on the infield in turn four. The last show run here was an NSCA Sprint show during the fair, I believe back in the early 80’s. The track is no longer there, but if you want some great memories of the place just ask Rob McCuen.

Tunis Speedway, Waterloo – I made it up to one race there the year before they closed the place down.

Wapello Speedway, Wapello – This track was carved out of a cornfield and only was in existence for a couple of years. I can only remember being there one night despite the fact that it was thirty-five miles from home.

Illinois

Aledo Raceway, Aledo – A very tight and narrow quarter-mile that produces much better racing than what you would expect when you first see it.

Belle-Clair Speedway, Belleville – A classic old fairgrounds facility with covered grandstands on both the frontstretch and backstretch of this quarter-mile bullring. My only visit there was on my way to Talladega on the RV from hell, a story better left told at another time.

Blackhawk Farms Raceway, South Beloit – Yes, I went to this 1.9 mile road course once with my dad, grandpa and uncle to watch my uncle’s friend compete. We camped out in a tent on the grounds for the weekend and my highlight was going to Rockford on Saturday for my first visit to that facility.

Fairbury American Legion Speedway, Fairbury – I have taken in a couple of Late Models specials on this quick quarter-mile, but it has been several years ago. I need to get back there soon.

Farmer City Raceway, Farmer City – Driving at no more than five miles per hour over the limit this track is exactly a three hour drive for me. A drive that I have made at four or five times to catch some good ol’ high-banked short track action.

Freeport Raceway Park, Freeport – I have only made it here twice and on one of those trips I saw an up-and-coming driver out of Wisconsin by the name of Brady Smith take a surprise win over the NASCAR Busch All Star Tour regulars.

Grundy County Speedway, Morris – My one visit to see the ARTGO series Late Models here was very entertaining.

Highland Speedway, Highland – I have been to this racy little quarter-mile twice. Once for an early April opener after we received 14 inches of snow in Iowa two days before, and again a few years later for their Wednesday night “Ugly Bartenders” special. On that trip I saw a funnel cloud while driving through northeast Missouri. I should try going there sometime under normal weather conditions!

Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield – Seeing dirt cars on the mile was always a novelty that scared the hell out of me. But if you like the big tracks, it is a nice place to go.

Kankakee Motor Speedway – Saw a great night of racing in my only visit and I scratch my head as to why the place has struggled a bit recently.

Knox County Fairgrounds, Knoxville – I used to rotate between going here and going to Oskaloosa IA on Wednesday nights back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Used to see some great racing here with big car counts then.

LaSalle Speedway, LaSalle – Built on the grounds of an old drive-in theater (I saw the screen still up on my first visit) this banked quarter has featured action-packed racing on each of my three visits. Another track that I would like to get back to soon.

Lincoln Speedway, Lincoln – I was surprised at how smack-dab in the middle of town this place is. I’ve only been there once but hope to change that.

Macomb Raceway, Macomb – I finally made it here for the first time in October of 2008. Good racing that night, but definitely not an easy place to find!

Macon Speedway, Macon – If you haven’t been to the Mighty Macon Speedway, you have to make a point to visit. It is the shortest track that I have seen full size dirt cars compete on and you are right on top of the action. I swear that you could fit it into the infield on most other quarter-mile tracks.

Morgan County Speedway, Jacksonville – One of the few tracks that still had a weekly 410 Sprint show when I visited several years back, and I hear that new promoter Bobby Hawks are bringing the 410’s back in 2010.

Mount Vernon Raceway, Mount Vernon – This little track sits right off the east side of the interstate as you head south out of town. It is not much to look at, but I saw a great Summer Nationals race there several years ago.

Peoria Speedway, Peoria – I have a strange relationship with this quarter-mile oval. On more than one occasion over the past thirty years I have walked out of there telling myself that I will never go back. But, when I do, I fall in love with the place all over again. Go figure.

East Moline Speedway, East Moline – This was my regular Sunday night destination for several seasons back in the mid-80’s and I really loved the Twin 50 nights when somebody like Ed Sanger would pull into town, win the first feature and then start at the back of the second one. Now that was some great racing!

Quincy Raceways, Quincy – And more recently this has been my somewhat regular Sunday night destination. Whether it was the Scott family or the new ownership, they know how to put on an efficient and entertaining program and I run into some of the nicest people down there!

Rockford Speedway, Rockford – Back when this paved short track had one of the first race dates, or last race dates on the schedule I made a lot of trips over that way. Now that the dirt tracks start as early and run as late in the season, I just haven’t been there. I need to get back though!

Spoon River Speedway, Canton – Carved out of the woods south of town, this place won’t win you over with modern day facilities, but the racing action on the wide high-baked 3/8-mile will keep you coming back.

Sycamore Speedway, Sycamore – They had a Busch All Star Tour event there long ago that I attended and I really don’t remember much about the place. I notice that they still get solid car counts every week.

Tri-City Speedway, Pontoon Beach – I wasn’t a big fan of the half-mile, and I can’t say that I liked the quarter-mile much either. But the races that I have seen on the current 3/8-mile configuration have been fantastic. I just wish I could find a route to get there where I could accurately predict how long it will take me. (Darn STL traffic!)

Vermilion County Speedway, Danville – I have only made it over here twice and one of them was for an NKF Tour Modified race that was won by Jimmy Owens.

Godfrey Speedway, Godfrey – I made it in here for one night of action before the place was shut down.

Rosemont Horizon, Rosemont – One indoor midget race that left me sick from the fumes for more than a week.

Springfield Speedway, Springfield – Winged Sprints and Late Models on the same card. It was enough for me to make the drive over to this tight quarter on a few occasions.

Pecatonica Fairgrounds, Pecatonica – I gave this place two tries. It was big, it was fast and it was shaped weird.

Santa Fe Speedway, Willow Springs – The Clay Track 200 was a must see on my schedule for a few years. It was a unique event at a facility that allowed me to see drivers (Izzo, Gardner, Erb, etc.) that I otherwise only read about.

Mid-State Raceway, Mount Olive – I went to an October show here one year and my memory tells me that a car flipped off turn one and ended up in a tree. The driver escaped uninjured but they left the car up there until the show was over. Am I crazy or does anybody else remember this?

Missouri

24 Raceway, Moberly – This wide and high-banked 4/10-mile oval always produces high-speed action and, with a spacious grandstand that has a steep grade to it, you have a bird’s eye view of all of that on track action.

Adrian Speedway, Adrian – I went to one race here and promoter Glenn Portzen worked his tail off to provide a fast, wide and tacky race surface. Hopefully it won’t sit idle for long.

Benton Racepark, Benton – A nice facility that has struggled from the onset. I saw a UMP Summernationals race here where the track was so tack that cars were bicycling in the turns. The grandstand facing the west is unusual.

Bolivar Speedway, Bolivar – I attended one good night of racing when this was a dirt track and I hear that the pavement racing is pretty good here as well.

Callaway Raceway, Fulton – The Atterberry carved out this nice little track south of Fulton and I have enjoyed both of my visits.

Double X Speedway, California – This place is a throwback to the good ol’ days. When I was there a couple of years ago it was five bucks to get in and it seemed like just about everybody in town was there. Not a big car count, but a festive atmosphere!

I-55 Raceway, Pevely – To me this is a smaller version of Eldora with the high banked turns and the concrete wall guarding the infield. Good racing with solid car counts.

I-70 Speedway, Odessa – It is sad to drive by this place and see that big old sign out there, but know that nothing is happening there. When they first covered the half-mile with dirt we would road trip down there often to see the national stars in both sprints and late models.

LA Raceway, La Monte – I’m not sure if I can count this one since I never saw a feature race there. On my one and only visit a severe thunderstorm with high winds and hail chased everybody out of the place after the first two heat races.

Lake Ozark Speedway, Eldon – A great new facility built shortly after Capital Speedway closed up shop. The track is egg-shaped so the two different sets of turns usually means that a car is setup good for one, but not so good for the other making for some interesting racing.

Lebanon I-44 Speedway, Lebanon – One of my favorite tracks whether it is dirt or asphalt. I cannot recall ever seeing a one-grooved surface here when the clay was down and the speed was impressive. As an asphalt track, which it is back to now, I have seen the Late Models run three-wide for more than a lap or two at a time.

Lucas Oil Speedway, Wheatland – I went to this track a few times when it first opened and it was a nice little track set in a very small town. Then Forrest Lucas put his money into the place and it is perhaps now the premier dirt track facility in the country. Oh yeah, and the races are pretty darn good here as well.

Midway Speedway, Lebanon – My one visit here produced an entertaining evening where I even won a steak dinner at one of the local restaurants! I wonder where I put that certificate….

Monett Speedway, Monett – This place has been around for a while and it shows its age a bit, but when you see the racing action that it produces you can see why the “Grand Old Lady” is still going strong.

Montgomery County Speedway, New Florence – Like racing around a soup bowl, high-banked, round and short, but a neat place that now sits idle. “Dancin’ Lance” Kobusch was very entertaining in victory lane.

Nevada Speedway, Nevada – I landed at this short-track one night when weather washed out everything else in the area. They did a nice job rushing the show in before the rains hit there as well.

Northwest Missouri State Fair, Bethany – Nice facility with a great grandstand, it will be interesting to see if Jim Wilson can make a weekly show work here once again.

Poplar Bluff Speedway, Poplar Bluff – Morgan and I attended the first night of racing at this new facility a few years ago and I am surprised that it didn’t last.

Scotland County Speedway, Memphis – Another track that I have memories of from two different eras. In the late 70’s I remember a big black dog chasing the cars down the frontstretch of the half-mile at the Pepsi-Mountain Dew Mid-America Nationals. The new configuration of the track definitely produces good racing.

Springfield Speedway, Springfield – I made my first two trips to this quarter-mile last year and I saw some great racing and a bit of a controversial finish. Go back to the archives of this blog on October 2009 to see the three-wide pics.

State Fair Speedway, Sedalia – I am so glad to see weekly racing return to the half-mile oval this year as it would be a waste to have that big grandstand sit empty on Friday nights for another year. I am looking forward to returning and see if I can also visualize where the old mile track used to be that I caught a couple of shows on as well.

US 36 Raceway, Osborn – Made our first trip here last season for a Midget special that was a fantastic show. When the local announcer didn’t show up, I volunteered to announce the support class action and the judges booth staff was incredibly helpful.

West Plains Speedway, West Plains – My first visit was for a Show Me 100 that, at the time, I described as the best 100-lap race that I had ever seen. Too nice of a facility to sit idle for long.

Winston I-35 Speedway, Winston – My only visit so far was for an NKF Tour race in 2001, a great show won by Gene Claxton. I plan on being there a couple times in 2010 as a good friend just purchased a home ten miles from the track.

Capital Speedway, Holts Summit – The track that I took my son Morgan to for his first-ever race in 1991 is now a housing development.

Joplin 66 Speedway, Joplin – Talk about the rise and fall of a speedway. I was there for one of the first few events run at this great facility that featured the equivalent of stadium seating on both sides of the track, and both the stands and the pits were full. Later trips showed the gradual decline and my last visit saw one lane Late Model race around the bottom. What happened? Is it still there?

Kirksville Speedway, Kirksville – I hate to say it, but the only race that I saw here was an Enduro event that I announced on the Fourth of July weekend. Wish I could have seen some Stock Car action before it became a Wal Mart, or whatever it is now.

Lake Ozark Speedway, Camdenton – I went there one night and they only had eighteen cars in three divisions. It was a neat little track though that is now the interchange off Highway 54 for the Big Surf and Big Shot parks.

North Fork Speedway, Oronogo – I saw a pretty good MLRA show here a year before this place seemed to disappear.

Saint Charles Speedway, Saint Charles – This place fought urban sprawl for as long as it possibly could. One of my two visits here featured Davey Allison in a dirt late model.

Wisconsin

ABC Raceway, Ashland – Set amongst the pines of northern Wisconsin I was just as impressed with the scenery as I was of the racing. Fantastic.

Cedar Lake Speedway, New Richmond – This place knows how to put on a “big” event and I made sure that I attended at least one night of the WISSOTA 100 for a few years straight.

Charter (Powercom) Raceway Park, Beaver Dam – Mo and I have been to two Sprint and Midget doubleheaders here and both of them were phenomenal. We check the track schedule every year to see when we can make it back.

La Crosse Fairgrounds Speedway, La Crosse – If you have never been to Oktoberfest weekend, you need to make a point of going sometime. I keep telling my wife that we are going to rent an RV someday and spend the whole week there on the grounds as it not just a race, it is an event!

Milwaukee Mile, Milwaukee – An historic track in the land of beer and brats.

Red Cedar Speedway, Menomonie – It is nice to run into Ed Reichert at his home track once in awhile! Great racing and very well presented programs.

Rice Lake Speedway, Rice Lake – Another of Ed’s “home tracks”. I have seen two good WISSOTA Late Model Challenge Series events here and the Street Stock “Dream” race is a great concept.

Hales Corners Speedway, Franklin – Big car counts and good racing was not enough to keep this place open in the south suburbs of Milwaukee.

Lake Geneva Raceway, Lake Geneva – A race track at a tourist destination was a great deal for me as while the girls went horseback riding, the boys went racing on an October weekend years ago. No longer an option though.

Madison International Speedway, Oregon – I have a picture on my desk at work showing me sitting on the same row of pit bleachers as Matt Kenseth and Tony Stewart as they prepared to race the locals here one night.

Minnesota

Deer Creek Speedway, Racine – This place has become a show place for the area and rightfully so. They put on a great race program and they can really fly around this place. Hope to make it back up for the Fall Jamboree soon!

Fairmont Raceway, Fairmont – Two visits twenty-years apart from each other to this big half-mile with the dark black dirt. It has been nine years now since my last visit so hopefully I will be back there before 2021!!

KRA Speedway, Willmar – I love tracks that race weekly on an off night and I was able to catch a Thursday night show here several years back.

Kasson Speedway, Kasson – My one visit here featured a great night of USMTS Modified action.

Murray County Speedway, Slayton – Played host to an NKF Tour event in 2001 and still produced some good racing despite dry and windy conditions.

Nobles County Speedway, Worthington – A nice fairgrounds facility that seems on the verge to breakout and start getting some solid car counts.

Proctor Speedway, Duluth – The Silver 1000 is traditionally the first of the year-end specials in WISSOTA country and one that I have enjoyed on a couple of occasions. Check it out.

Steele County Fairgrounds, Owatonna – Former home of the Gopher 50, a great event that sometimes saw some good racing, the last time that I was here I saw Steve Wetzstein’s Modified launch off the top of turn two, go through the retaining wall/fence, cross the street and end up in a parking lot of a business. Thank goodness that Steve was uninjured and that there was no pedestrian activity in that area at the time.

South Dakota

Park Jefferson Speedway, Jefferson – The converted dog track has had a nice run and both of my visits have produced some exciting racing.

Nebraska

Eagle Raceway, Eagle – My father took me out here a few times when we lived in Lincoln back in the early ‘70’s so imagine my surprise when I returned here a few years ago to see the beautiful new seating. Unique track configuration produces non-stop action.

Nebraska Raceway Park, Greenwood – I did not picture this place being as wide and long as it is. I had to tell myself that it wasn’t meant to be a replacement for Sunset. A great place to watch the races with a consistently solid car count.

State Fair Park Raceway, Lincoln – How unique it is to sit inside a climate controlled grandstand with cushioned stadium style seats while the cars sling the dirt during the Nebraska State Fair.

Midwest Speedway, Lincoln – I remember pulling up to this place and see the tall brown painted wooden fence with “Midwest Speedway” painted in white. This was my weekly racetrack in 1973 and ’74. Now a housing development.

Sunset Speedway, Omaha – When I was in summer school at the U of I in 1986 I would make the three hour trip west just about every Sunday to watch a huge count of Late Models and Sportsman here and I would get back in time to get just enough sleep before class on Monday. I always loved the rule that they had at that time where drivers who finished in the top three of the Sportsman point standings had to move up to the Late Model division the following year. Was it a coincidence that their car count was large compared to other tracks at the time?

Kansas

Lakeside Speedway, Kansas City – One of the best weekly race programs going right now and they know how to put on a pretty darn good special event as well.

Thunder Hill Speedway, Mayetta – I have been here twice and both were noteworthy. On my first visit I saw Late Models race five-wide through the corners on two occasions during the feature. I can’t say that I have ever seen that anywhere else. And when the NKF Tour had a show here in 2001, the Modified feature winner was none other than Clint Bowyer.

Humboldt Speedway, Humboldt – Caught an afternoon show here in March of 2009 and it was good enough to make me want to return for a night race sometime soon.

Kansas Speedway, Kansas City – Morgan and I attended the first ever race day at this NASCAR facility and then headed over to Thunder Hill that evening. It was a full day!

Oklahoma

Muskogee Speedway, Muskogee – My late friend Darrell Bennett and I made the trip to Oklahoma two Octobers in a row to catch their late season special. You had to look around the big beams in the old covered grandstand to catch all of the action.

Creek County Speedway, Sapulpa – Short and flat, this track offered up plenty of action when we visited in the Fall of 2008.

Tulsa Expo Raceway, Tulsa – I made my first visit to the world famous Chili Bowl this past January and I hope to return soon!

Arkansas

I-30 Speedway, Little Rock – This is a great little racetrack! I’ll always remember my first of three visits here when, after announcing the USMS Modified show, I had a nice little lady who was probably in her sixties tug on my jacket and she said in full southern twang “I sure do like your announcing, but I don’t understand a word of your Yankee dialect!”

Crawford County Speedway, Van Buren – Barry and I opened our 2007 race season here and saw a good night of racing, but I still don’t know the name of the driver who won the Modified feature as apparently neither did the announcer.

Poinsett County Speedway, Harrisburg – Another early season road trip from the past for Barry and I. Once we found the place, we were pretty pleased with racing action that we witnessed. It was the one and only time that I got to see young Nathan Rettig race before his untimely death a few years later.

Texas

85 Speedway, Ennis – I stopped here in 1986 on my way back from a spring break trip to South Padre. At the time their featured class was the Dirt Modifieds like they still run in the northeast. I was too worn out from four days on the beach to remember much else.

Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth – A few years back my brother-in-law scored some tickets for a full race weekend here. The Friday night truck race was fun, we watched the Busch Series race from the condo of the guy who owns Interstate Batteries (top floor of the turn two towers) which was incredible, and then on Sunday I fell asleep for a bit as Carl Edwards walked away from the field. We then spent four hours in traffic trying to leave the place.

Mississippi

Columbus Speedway, Columbus – We road tripped down here for the season opener a few years back and, beside the good racing, we remember the shanty’s that have been built in the pits. Definitely a unique sight.

Jackson Speedway, Jackson – Back when I was younger I would sometimes take off by myself and drive a long way just to go to a race, especially early or late in the season. I think that this was the last trip that I made for more than ten hours one-way solo.

Alabama

North Alabama Speedway, Tuscumbia – Saw a great Late Model show here on a Friday night, but the memory that sticks out is that the staging area was between the front stretch fence and the grandstand. It felt weird to hear those motors idling while another race was on the track.

Talladega Short Track, Talladega – The Ice Bowl is an event that you must attend at least once if you are a dirt track fan. I can’t guarantee you that the racing itself will be good, but I will guarantee that you will see a bunch of cars and that it will be the best dirt track racing that you will find on that particular weekend!!

Talladega Superspeedway, Talladega – I know that NASCAR fans will say that I’m an idiot, but after going to Talladega I just can’t get excited about going to any of the other Cup tracks. (But keep in mind, I’m a dirt track fan) When you go to a race here you are witnessing constant drama when the green flag is out, no falling asleep here! Plus, when you spend a full race weekend here you can always go get your dirt fix at the Short Track on Friday and Saturday nights!

East Alabama Motor Speedway, Phenix City – I spent a very long Sunday at the National 100 several years ago, but I must say that when they reworked the track and waited for the sun to just about set, the feature race itself was pretty darn good.

Green Valley Speedway, Gadsden – I haven’t had good luck with this place, through no fault of its own. We were rained out when we tried to run an early season NKF Tour event there in 2001 and when I returned a few years later a Street Stock tore out most of the fence going into turn one resulting in a such a lengthy delay that we did not stay for the features. Hopefully my third visit will be the charm.

Georgia

Dixie Speedway, Woodstock – Legendary track in the south hosts some of the biggest events in the region.

Atlanta Motor Speedway, Hampton – We stopped here on our way to Florida for a business conference when the Sunday race was pushed back to a Monday due to rain. It was back when it was still an oval and it seemed really weird to be sitting in such an empty backstretch grandstand at the time.

Golden Isles Speedway, Brunswick – I went to a fringe speedweek show here one year before the track was rebuilt to its current configuration. The oiled dirt was incredibly fast, but I don’t think that I saw a pass for position all night long. Good thing that they made the change.

Tennessee

Duck River Speedway, Wheel – The site of my most recent race, you can check out my thoughts in the March archives.

Clarksville Speedway, Clarksville – Went to the first ever Tuckasee Toilet Bowl Classic here a few years back and had a great time. Will always remember during the feature race introductions the announcer would always say “They call him” and then say the guy’s nickname like “Mr. Smooth” for Billy Moyer or “The Real Deal” for Don O’Neal. When he got to Dennis Erb Jr. he was rolling along and came to the crescendo saying “and they call him” at which point he paused for a second, and then said “Dennis Erb!” Trust me, it was funny, but I guess you had to of been there!

Atomic Speedway, Oak Ridge – We had a house fire in March of 1997 and nearly all of our clothing was ruined from the smoke. So on that first weekend of April when the forecast was for a foot of snow here in Iowa, and with no winter coats for me or the kids at the rental house, we decided to get the heck out of here and head somewhere warmer. About ten hours later we were in the stands of Atomic Speedway. It was a hectic time in my life, but I am glad that I got to see a race here before it shutdown.

Bristol Motor Speedway, Bristol – It is only fitting that my only trip here was when the track was covered with dirt and the Late Models were in action. The qualifying races were incredible, but the feature was a bit of a dud because wheels were breaking off due to the stress of the high speeds after about fifteen laps.

Volunteer Speedway, Bulls Gap – I’m not sure if the banking is as steep as the Montgomery County Speedway in Missouri, but since this track is longer it is definitely faster, perhaps the fastest track that is shorter than a half-mile that I have ever seen.

Virginia

Richmond Fairgrounds Speedway, Richmond – I went to the first Cup race here after they remodeled the place.

North Carolina

The Dirt Track at Lowe’s Motor Speedway – If you want a great way to round out your season The World Finals featuring the Word of Outlaws Late Models and Sprint Cars on the same card is a great way to do it!

Concord Motorsports Park, Concord – Does it count that we came out and watched a full afternoon of practice for the big asphalt modified show that was the same weekend of The World Finals?

Metrolina Speedway, Charlotte – I caught a night at this historic half-mile oval in its final season. Not many cars and follow the leader racing on this night, but still glad I went.

South Carolina

Cherokee Speedway, Gaffney – Is this the place that says “The Track Your Momma Warned You About?” I’ve been here a couple of times and would go back again if I had a willing road trip partner.

Florida

East Bay Raceway, Gibsonton – “The Clay By The Bay” is one of my top five favorite racetracks due to the nice car counts during Speedweeks, the great racing action that it usually yields and the fact that I’m in Florida in February!

Volusia County Speedway, Barberville – This place has been interesting to watch over the years. First it was dirt half-mile, then they paved it, then they built a dirt 3/8-mile sort of behind the big track making it where you could catch two types of racing on the same night during Speedweeks. Then they flip-flopped the surfaces and now just the half-mile dirt track is used. Is the other track even there still?

Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach – What can ya say?

Lake City Speedway, Lake City – Not a bad place to go if you want to get away from the mainstream crowd during Speedweeks. I think they call it North Florida Speedway now.

Putnam County Speedway, Palatka – A rustic facility to say the least when I visited, but pretty good racing.

Saint Augustine Speedway, Saint Augustine – One of those new tracks that was going to help take dirt racing to the “next level”. Didn’t happen as the place was nice but the track was one-grooved.

Orlando Speed World, Orlando – An asphalt track that was short on cars the night we were there, plus the lady who was selling the 50-50 tickets won the 50-50 drawing.

Ocala Speedway, Ocala – A dirt track, or make that a sand track when we saw it, was later paved and is now back to a very gray colored dirt. Looked like from videos that I saw recently that they had some pretty good racing there though.

Auburndale Speedway, Auburndale – The Figure-8’s on asphalt were wild.

DeSoto Super Speedway, Bradenton – The IMCA Mods made a stop here one February and the new facility was first class at the time.

Bronson Motor Speedway, Bronson – A flat paved track that offered up some slam-bang action in the support classes. If I remember right, there was a pretty good-sized brawl in the pits right after one of the features.

USA International Speedway, Lakeland – I was there once when it was a short track and again when they made it into a very nice 3/4-mile facility.

New Smyrna Speedway, New Smyrna – This place used to run every Saturday night 52 weeks a year and it still hosts the World Series of Asphalt Racing during speedweeks. Yes, even this dirt fan usually pulls himself away from the dirt for one night here in February.

Indiana

Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Indianapolis – I have been to a 500 and a Brickyard.

Indianapolis Raceway Park, Clermont – It was nice to go see this place in person after watching the “Thunder” broadcasts on ESPN.

Anderson Speedway, Anderson – The Little 500 is a very unique event.

Bloomington Speedway, Bloomington – You gotta love watching the non-wing sprints sling the dirt at this place!

Brownstown Speedway, Brownstown – This is one of those deals where I scratch my head and say “with all those big specials they have, I’ve only been here once??”

Illiana Motor Speedway, Schererville – I made my way over to their season ending special once back in the 1980’s.

Indianapolis Speeddrome, Indianapolis – Watching the midgets race around this flat paved stadium was a blast.

Lawrenceburg Speedway, Lawrenceburg – Another great place to catch the non-wing sprints, plus I saw the Outlaw Sprints one night as well. I think Danny Smith won….

Mount Lawn Speedway, New Castle – We stopped at this oddly shaped flat paved track for a run what ya brung special on our way home from Eldora once.

Terre Haute Action Track, Terre Haute – My only trip to this legendary facility was interrupted by a thunderstorm during World of Outlaw Sprint Car qualifying. This was on our way home from Bristol’s dirt show.

Tri-State Speedway, Haubstadt – I had always heard that Tom Helfrich knew how to prep a dirt track and he definitely lived up to that reputation on my one visit.

Twin Cities Raceway Park, North Vernon – I have caught two Northern All Star Late Models shows here and both of them featured some great racing action.

Michigan

Galesburg Speedway, Galesburg – I had business in Kalamazoo and this little paved track had a mid-week special. It was a fun night!

Ohio

Attica Raceway Park, Attica – A Sprint/Late Model doubleheader may have been one of the best overall nights of racing that I have ever been to.

Eldora Speedway, Rossburg – The Dream race that was won by a then relatively unknown Jimmy Mars may have been one of the most dramatic “big shows” that I have ever attended. I need to get out there and see Larry and Kathleen Kemp again soon, as they have been like a second set of parents to me.

Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh Motor Speedway, Imperial – I have made two attempts to watch a show here while visiting my aunt and uncle and I have been rained out on both occasions!!

Kentucky

Kentucky Lake Motor Speedway, Calvert City - A great facility that now sits idel for everyone to see as they drive past on I-24. I have left this place at 2:30 in the morning covered with dust saying I would never return, then last year when I went in March I saw a great two division show with over a hundred cars that ended before eleven o'clock. Hopefully somebody will be able to make it a "specials only" destination soon.

Florence Speedway, Union - I think that I caught this place on a bad night as the car count was lower than normal and the track was one-lane. I have seen it on TV couple of times and I know that the racing is good here, especially for their big shows. I'll have to give it another try sometime.

So there you have it! I think that is all that I have been to, but I am sure that there are a couple that have escaped my memory. And while I have been to a lot of different tracks there are still plenty close by that I need to get to soon such as Central Missouri, Mineral City, St. Francois County, Malden, Butler, Jackson MN, Beatrice, Raceway Park and many more! I’d love to hear about the tracks that you have visited and what your favorites are, or you can tell me what tracks I need to get back to and to go see for the first time. Send your list and comments to news@positivelyracing.com.

But your first priority should be to get out to race near you this weekend!!

No comments: