Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Daytona, Rain and Chicken......

As I sit here anxiously watching the radar and hoping that everything stays east of 34 Raceway's World of Outlaws Sprint Car show I thought that I would try to calm my nerves a bit by sharing a few thoughts.

Back on April 28th I logged a blog following Talladega that included my wonder as to when a driver will finally decide that throwing a block and getting wrecked at the finish of a restrictor plate race is worse than just holding his line, mashing the gas to the floor and racing to the line even if it does mean finishing second or third. Obviously Kyle Busch doesn't buy into that theory. After destroying all of that equipment, including his JGR teammate's car of Joey Logano, and finishing 14th downright lucky to walk away uninjured, I just wonder if the thought went through his mind, "you know, second or third place with a good race car to put on the trailer and the extra points that might make the difference of me being in the Chase or not would have been a better move." My guess is that we'll see a similar situation at Talladega in October......if we are still under the green when the leaders hit the tri-oval for the final time.

For the second year in a row it seems like Mother Nature has even more wins around Iowa than Shannon Anderson, and he has 22 at last count! The latest "victory" for Ma came last night as one more storm built up over the Knoxville Raceway at 7 p.m. to wipe out the Tuesday night portion of the Harris Clash. The IMCA Modifieds will now be in action this Thursday night and hopefully most of the 105 cars in attendance will be able to make it back.

While the sun was still shining at 6:30 we ducked into a fast food franchise who has really hit a homerun with their new "grilled" chicken. I tried it the first week that it came out and I was sold! Tastes just like it came off the grill and apparently others felt the same as franchise locations were unable to keep up with demand. Well it has been a month now and I would have felt that the Management of each location would have a pretty good feel for how much grilled chicken would be needed at certain times of the day. Guess not as for the third time in the past week, and at the third different location, I was told AFTER I ordered and paid for my grilled chicken meal that they were out of grilled chicken and that it would be twenty or thirty minutes before they would have more. And in a classic bait and switch mode they would then ask if I wanted crispy or original instead. Come on now Burger King doesn't run out of burgers, Steak and Shake doesn't run out of "steak"burgers, IHOP doesn't run out of pancakes......oh well, I'll probably try it again on Thursday night!

Now that I got that of my chest I'm ready to go Sprint Car racing and as Johnny says "Burlington Iowa you wanted the best, you've got 'em four abreast, often imitated, never duplicated, the greatest show on dirt, the World of Outlaws!!!!" Hope to see you there!

No comments: