Friday, August 28, 2009

It Has Been Waaaaay Too Long......

It has been way too long since I have been to a race, especially when we are still in the month of August!!! Hopefully all of you reading this in eastern Iowa escaped damage from the heavy rains of this week. Those monsoons have wiped out tonight's (Friday) action at both Tipton and Donnellson, but it looks as though the shows will go on at all of the other Friday night tracks in the PositivelyRacing.com coverage area. I have another non-racing commitment for tonight otherwise I would have ventured up to Columbus Junction to catch the show being put on by first year promoters Don & Sharon Wood and Brian & Amanda Tipps at the CJ Speedway. The drivers better not be using the levee as a cushion coming out of turn two tonight! (Whoops! I just saw that at 5 p.m. they canceled at CJ as well. I thought it might be a little too muddy up there!)

There are some interesting choices out there for Saturday night. 34 Raceway in Burlington is having a Fan Appreciation Night with $5 admission, while West Liberty will pair up the Ideal Ready Mix Sprint Invaders with a $1,500-to-win Late Model show. Then you have all of the other great Saturday night shows throughout the region as we wind down the regular season. If my wife decides that she doesn't want to see Styx, then I'll finally return to a racetrack on Saturday night. If not, definitely on Sunday!

Last night my Netflix movie was Six Pack featuring Kenny Rogers as dirt track driver Brewster Baker. I told Christine that we were going to watch a Diane Lane movie and as soon as she saw ol' Brewster towing that #49 Late Model behind his camper she told me that she had other things to do and left! Imagine that....and I wasn't even a liar, Diane Lane plays the teenage girl in the "Six Pack" of orphans that end up serving as Brewster's pit crew as he gets a Grand National ride at the Atlanta Motor Speedway. Of course I saw the move back when it was released in 1982, but it was really fun to watch it again now just to see how much the sport has changed, both at the dirt track level as well as the big league's of NASCAR. The announced attendance at the Atlanta "Grand National" race was 56,000, the same number of people that recently attended the Nationwide race at Newton, and it showed the fans walking to the stands around the outside retaining wall in one of the turns and there was no catch fence! Anyway, if you want to have a little fun during the offseason and watch what really isn't that bad of a movie, put Six Pack on your Netflix queue.

Yikes, now I'm writing movie reviews! I really need to get back to the track, hope I see you there!

No comments: