Saturday, June 5, 2010

Back and Ready for Some Racing!

For those of you who check in here from time to time to see if there is anything new on the Back Stretch you have probably been wondering where I have been, especially with no reports over the big Memorial Day weekend. Well, my wife Christine and I joined her parents for a ten-day cruise and tour of Alaska and, while I missed the races, from the few photos below you will see that it was well worth it!

Just so this entry does have a little "racing" in it, on our first day of the land tour portion we stopped for ice cream at a roadside stop and I noticed a Street Stock parked out back. I asked one of the locals about the car and he stated that it would be a big weekend of racing coming up that Saturday and Sunday at Capital Speedway just up the road. As our tour bus passed the speedway I was the only one craning my neck to get a view of the two sprint cars that were sitting outside. So if you are ever looking for some racing in Alaska, here you go http://www.capitolspeedway.org/

We had three straight clear days in and around Denali National Park giving us a spectacular view of Mount McKinley, the tallest mountain in North America.

On our whale watching excursion at Icy Strait Point we were treated to two humpbacks who swam on their backs in unison and then would both breach as if they were challenging each other. It was an incredible experience!


This is a zoomed view of one of the two whales. In the original version of the photo, the tail or fluke of the second whale is also visible just to the left.

We had a great trip, but it is good to be back and I am ready to get back out to the tracks. Thanks for stopping by and check back again soon. Now if I can figure out where Barry has been......

No comments: