Thursday, August 19, 2010

One Track Closes, Two Extend Schedules, and More!

As I have aged I have found that after two straight weeks of Sprint Car racing at Knoxville and Oskaloosa I need a break. The Nationals wear me out anymore especially when I try to do the eight to five gig back home as well. Twenty-five years ago I wanted to go to the races every night of the week and that is the opportunity that the Southern Iowa Sprint Speedweeks provide, but nowadays I need a break, so let’s face it, I’m getting old! As I read the race results from Des Moines, Allison, Sedalia and Webster City this week there was still a little part of my heart that said, “you should have been there.” But, my sleep-deprived mind jumps in real quick and says “yea right, the closest one of those was just over two hours from home!” Hopefully my heart will start winning this battle again very soon though as the season is starting to slip away from us.

I see where another track has closed down the 2010 season a little earlier than originally planned as the Fredericktown Raceway in southeast Missouri, or “FredRock” as it is more affectionately known to its fans and competitors announced this week that they are scrapping the final two nights of their weekly racing season. Track owners did note however that they look forward to returning to full strength in 2011.

As one shuts down early, a couple of more tracks closer to home have announced an extended schedule for 2010. Quincy Raceways will continue to run on Sunday nights through October 10th and here’s hoping that they see a solid car count and fan base through the remainder of the season. I have always loved to go racing on Sundays in the Fall as high school and college football demand a lot of my attention on the first two days of the weekend. So now it looks like I’ll be setting the DVR for some NFL action and then heading down to Quincy a few times this autumn!

I guess that saying that the season is being “extended” at the Pepsi Scotland County Speedway in Memphis, Missouri, isn’t completely accurate. Columbia, Missouri, Stock Car driver Rick Girard is dipping his toe into the promotional waters and has “revived” the 2010 schedule at the neat little 3/8th-mile oval in northeast Missouri after the track closed down earlier this summer. Girard held his first event last Saturday night and, from all reports, things went pretty well with solid car counts and good attendance. They are back at it again this Saturday night featuring a $700-to-win Modified show and Rick plans to run into mid-October culminating with the two-day Mid-America Nationals event that will likely be held October 15th and 16th.

For coverage of all of the racing action around the tri-state area of Iowa, Missouri and Illinois check out Heartland Motorsports.

While you are visiting Positively Racing make sure that you check out the August 18th entry from Ryan Clark “In Staging” as he discusses the controversial promoter’s claim that took place in the Stock Car division last Saturday night in Boone.

Sprint Car fans who are heading to 34 Raceway this Saturday night for the Sprint Invader Twin features, don’t forget that there will be a “Meet and Greet” session with Burlington’s own Josh Schneiderman who finished 13th at the Knoxville Nationals this past week. I would love to go shake the hand of “The Professor” and watch his father Bart beam with pride, but I made a date with Jennifer Nettles a few months ago that I just have to keep.

Get out to the track of your choice, support the sport and I hope to see you at the races again soon!

And if you'd like to have a chuckle or two, check out the last entry from my favorite blogger Mark Titus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
Just letting you know that you can add another track to your list of closing early. Fayette County Speedway in West Union cancelled their final two scheduled races. According to a posting from the Ihde brothers, the crowds have not been sufficient to support the show and next year remains uncertain as they will discuss it over the winter whether they want to keep promoting the track. I never made it over this year but from what I have read it was always a well prepared track with good racing, and it has had that reputation for awhile. Maybe they do need to go to a similar deal as Allison as someone has suggested. With the economy still being what it is, there may be other weekly tracks that will go to that. Just thought you'd like to know.
Your friend in racing, Les Houser