Saturday, March 10, 2012

Go Panthers!

It is a beautiful day for racing down in Springfield, Missouri, today and normally I would be on the road and anxiously anticipating my first race of a new season. But today is different. Something that can be described as a "once in a lifetime" situation has priority over racing as the Mount Pleasant high school boys basketball team will play Epworth Western Dubuque tonight for the Class 3A state championship.

The last time that the Panthers played for the state title was in 1918 when they won their second straight. Having grown up here and playing for the Panthers in 1980 and '81, and then having both of my boys play here, obviously my blood runs maroon and gold so it was an easy choice of a destination between Des Moines and Springfield. There will be plenty of races coming up soon, but this could be the only time that I will ever get to see my hometown school play for the state championship.

As of right now, that is a "once in a lifetime opportunity". Hopefully, we'll see them there again soon. Now if I can just see the Cubs in the World Series!

Keep an eye out for the results from Springfield, they should have a huge field of cars after other shows down south washed out early.

No comments: