Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunday Notebook - June 10, 2012

Compiling the Special Events calendar at Positively Racing is always a fun project for me as the tracks and series start releasing their schedules during the offseason. I love to start picking out events months in advance that I would like to attend, and then there are those dates that are posted where I find that I cannot attend due to other commitments. One of those comes up this Tuesday night, June 12th as the Deery Brothers Summer Series for IMCA Late Models and the Hawkeye Dirt Tour for IMCA Modifieds visit the Cedar County Raceway in Tipton. What a night this should be as the two touring series, and nothing else take to the fast little quarter-mile promoted by Al & Kathy Dlouhy. They always seem to step it up a notch for their special events and Tuesday is one of those nights where I will be wishing that I was in Tipton. Hopefully you can fill the seat that I would have!

Yesterday was our 23rd Anniversary and my wife Christine has been keeping our social calendar hopping on the weekends. Of my 18 nights of racing so far this year only one of them has been on a Friday night and that was in Oklahoma when Morgan wanted to go to Creek County for the Sprint Car races. Wednesday night leads the way right now with six, all at Oskaloosa while Saturday is next with five although my trip to Quincy will pull Sunday into a tie.

You know that you win a lot of races when it is noteworthy that you did not win and that was the case last night at the Shelby County Speedway in Harlan. Jesse Sobbing who already has 21 feature wins so far in 2012 started twelfth and finished third in the IMCA Sport Mod main event as Randy Archer took the win and Dylan Peterson finished second. Sobbing, who won an amazing 55 features in 2011, started 12th as he usually does in the 27-car field.

The two national touring sprint car series scheduled themselves within three hours of each other this weekend as the Lucas Oil ASCS National Series for the 360 division ran a Friday-Saturday doubleheader at Eagle Raceway near Lincoln, Nebraska, while the World Of Outlaws ran Friday night in Spencer and at Knoxville on Saturday. Brady Bacon swept the show in Eagle while Brad Sweet scored his first career WoO win in Spencer and Kerry Madsen won at Knoxville.

Arizona native Tim Ward has relocated to eastern Nebraska for the summer and the 18-year-old has already won IMCA Modified features at Eagle and Beatrice.

I don't watch NASCAR often, but I have the Pocono race on while writing this and a few things have made me go "huh?" Commentators Kyle Petty and Wally Dallenbach didn't really convince me to watch when they both agreed during the pre-race discussion that most of the action and passing would take place in the pits. As it turns out, with all of the speeding violations they might just be right. Vanilla Ice is the Grand Marshal for today's event. Apparently Max Headroom was already booked. And I know that I am behind the times, and that this event apparently has some sort of tie-in to Twitter because I keep hearing "hash tag NASCAR", but has the television coverage of racing really come to the point where the twitter feeds of Vanilla Ice and Kyle Busch's wife are now considered to be news? Uggh....

I didn't know Tim Sands personally, but it is apparent that he was very well liked and respected by his racing family. I was so sad when I checked the racing forums late Friday night and saw the news from Columbus Junction. Keep Tim and his family and friends in your prayers and do the same for David Schrier who was also injured in the accident.

Off to Quincy tonight for a Sunday night of UMP and IMCA action.....

No comments: