Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Low Car Counts Persist At Some Tracks, Changes for Four Cylinder All Iowa Points in 2014

I like the Four Cylinder, Sport Compact, Hornet, or whatever you want to call it division. Especially when there is a good car count where the faster drivers have to start deep in the pack and race their way to the front. That is good racing and while some other fans consider them to be a good bathroom or concession break division, I stay in my seat and watch. If I didn’t like the division, I wouldn’t have started to track them in the All Iowa Points several years ago, but it is what I am seeing while tabulating those points that has finally made me decide to make a change.

History has shown that when a track has a hard time maintaining a respectable car count in a division over a couple of years, that division is eventually dropped. Not so with the Four Cylinders as several tracks continue to run the class with as few as five, four, three or even in a couple of recent instances just two cars showing up to compete. Why a track promoter would continue to run the class with these types of numbers boggles my mind. I have had a couple promoters tell me that “they pay for themselves”, but do they really? And even if they do, what effect is it having on your race fans who don’t care to watch a three car “race” where the competitors are spread out all over the track? Don’t get me wrong Four Cylinder drivers and fans, I would feel the same way about any other division that had the same car counts after two or more years, but there aren’t any because they get dropped.
It may be trivial to everybody else, but to me the tracks that continue to race with low car counts skews the All Iowa Points enough that drivers who race at those low car count tracks are ranked significantly higher than those who actually race, and finish in the top five, against a good field of cars each week. For example, at one of those three car races the winner gets the five points, the runner-up gets four and the last place car, no matter how fast or how slow, collects three points. In comparison, at a track that draws, for example, eighteen cars, the driver who finishes fourth and is likely a very competitive car only gets two points, one less than the straggler at the low car count track. I have waited for a couple of years now for track promoters to resolve this situation themselves by either doing what was needed to grow the car count, or to drop the division, but that has not happened, So instead, for this division only beginning in 2014, I am making a change in how the points will be awarded based upon the car count.

In events where there are only two cars, yes this has happened on a couple of occasions this year, I will continue to do what I have been doing and will not award any points to either driver. Two cars is not a race, it is an exhibition.  In events where there are three to five cars the winner will receive one point. In events where there are six to nine cars the winner will receive three points, second will get two and the third-place driver will be awarded one point. And in events where there are ten or more cars the full standard All Iowa Points five-point pay scale will be in effect.
This will not help myself, or any other fans who are at the tracks watching three or four car feature fields, but at least it will relieve my own frustration when it comes to tracking the point standings.

I had originally planned to catch up with the Corn Belt Clash tonight (Wednesday) at the Cedar County Raceway in Tipton, but I now have another commitment. It is back to Sprint Car racing for me again this weekend as the Brockway Mechanical and Roofing Sprint Invaders go to the Bloomfield Speedway this Friday night where I am excited to see the turnaround that second-year promoter Chris Eggers has been able to accomplish. Then on Saturday night the Invaders run the annual “Night of the Twins” at 34 Raceway near Burlington with two feature events for the Sprint Cars, plus UMP Late Models , Mod Lites and Four Cylinders (typically more than twenty of them here).
Hope to see you on the Back Stretch!

No comments: