Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Seriously Kirk?

For those of you who check in on the Back Stretch somewhat regularly you know that I do occasionally stray from the racing theme and, when I do, it usually has something to do with the other stick and ball sports. Today is one of those days.

I was dumbfounded this morning as I perused the newspaper during breakfast seeing a headline that Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz is seriously considering never attempting to return a punt again. This of course comes after a third memorable case where an opposing team made a huge first down on a fake punt. The first was a couple of years ago at home against Wisconsin, the second was in this season's opener against Northern Illinois and the straw that broke the camel's back was this past week's 25-yard stroll by Michigan State punter Mike Sadler that put momentum squarely on the side of the Spartans in what until then had been a pretty closely played game.

My shock, and honestly my disgust with Ferentz's statement is that it is such an extreme measure for something that can easily be remedied if we just returned punts more like every other college football team!!

As you will see in the video the Hawks have ten men lined up within seven yards of the line of scrimmage, but as soon as the ball is snapped eight of those take their eyes off the punter and start running downfield supposedly to block in open field for a potential return. What's left? Two defenders against three blockers. The punting team will take those odds everyday!

As I watched college football the rest of the day I paid close attention to how other teams handled the punt return options and every single one of them jammed the linemen at the line of scrimmage rather than turning and running downfield. I did the public address announcing at a junior varsity football game on Monday night and an eighth grade game on Tuesday night and guess what? They jammed the linemen as well. Perhaps I should grab the little girl who filmed it in the booth next to us and send the video to the multi-million dollar coach so he can see that perhaps there is another option rather than giving up completely on returning a punt?

Seems like a pretty stupid statement Coach.....

Back to racing now and there are some big events to be found in our region this coming weekend and as of right now the weather looks perfect. Two-day shows are at Donnellson and West Liberty while the three-day Cornhusker Classic will close out the season at I-80 Speedway between Lincoln and Omaha. Upper Iowa Speedway in Decorah is running this Saturday night as well with an event that was rescheduled from earlier. Due to the fact that I have to go out of state for business on Saturday my only race night will be Friday this week and I have the enviable choice of the two great shows that are both within an hour of my home. I have a feeling that the qualifying night format being used will end up making my final decision for me on Friday afternoon so not quite sure yet which Back Stretch you might find me on.

Make sure you get out and support the the race program of your choice this weekend and beyond as the Fall season continues!

No comments: