Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Prepping for Osky and Who Wants a Dollar?

I have been to five races so far in 2019 and at four of them I had to bundle up and slide down into my sleeping bag in order to stay warm. Make fun of me if you'd like, but I figured out a long time ago that this was more effective than wearing Carhart's and boots! The one race that I didn't take "the bag" in for was this past Saturday at 34 Raceway because the thermometer had reached the mid-70's during the day. But let me tell you, once the sun disappeared over the horizon and with the steady wind that was blowing from left to right as I was sitting in the stands, I was still wishing that I was huddled up in the bag!

So this brings us to tonight, Wednesday April 10th, where the Southern Iowa Speedway in Oskaloosa will open its 2019 racing under less than ideal weather conditions. Hopefully you were not one who checked the forecast for Wednesday a couple of days ago when there was a 90% chance of rain listed and gave up on going......because the Southern Iowa Speedway did not give up. It is bizarre that the weather can be so bad in areas not so far away today and tonight, but still remain dry enough for racing in Oskaloosa and that just proves why you just need to be patient and see how things play out anytime that the weather forecast is not looking good for a race day that is still more than a day out.

At 4 p.m. it is cloudy and windy in Oskaloosa with a temperature of forty-five degrees. Not exactly ideal for racing, but at least the temperature is supposed to remain steady throughout the night so pack everything you have and come on out and see what happens on opening night. Take my advice, bring your sleeping bag to sit in as well.

It's quiz time here on the Back Stretch and if you have been a regular reader of my work for the past forty years you will have a better chance of winning the grand prize of one dollar, or "the standard bet" as my kids cringe about whenever they want to challenge me on something. On one of the racing forums a poster stated that in both of his incidents on Friday night at Marshalltown, Damon Murty had hit a hole just prior to getting contact from the other car. I didn't see it the same way, but that is what is great about racing, we can all see an incident in different ways. For example, if this fan was positioned more toward turn one than I was, he would have had a much better view of both incidents and could be absolutely correct in regard to what caused the contact. Honestly, that is why I was careful in writing my account of what happened because I didn't feel that I could place "blame" on either driver in either of the two incidents.

It was good hard racing and definitely very entertaining for the fans, but here is the "Back Stretch reader's quiz" portion of today's blog. Reading this story, what do you feel is the underlying point that I wanted to make? Send in your answers as a comment here on the blog page only, do not reply on the Facebook page, and the first correct answer will receive one well worn dollar bill the next time that I see you at the race track.

I will likely have more thoughts on the Cody Sommer/Scott Bloomquist announcement at some point, but my first thought is this. Won't this be a conflict of interest at the two major events promoted by Sommer? The young man certainly seems to be a marketing genius when it comes to dirt track racing right now.

Bundle up and I will see you tonight at Osky

No comments: