Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Patience Race Fans, Patience

I figured that I had better write another post since my last one warned of something that I believe will have a long-term negative affect on short track racing. And now here we have the current threat; COVID-19 or the Cornonavirus.

Yes, it is very disappointing to see these early season events canceled as government officials mandate that we limit the number of people gathering in one spot and, at first, I thought that it was overkill. However, after getting over my initial disappointment, and the fact that I just turned 57 putting me right up there close to the "high risk" category, I have taken the point of view that we do need to cooperate in an effort to "flatten the curve". And if that means that we have to miss a few weeks of racing to do our part, then so be it.

I had planned to go to Beatrice last week and it was the weather that canceled that event.

The Spring Nationals at Memphis, including the debut of the Malvern Bank SLMR East Series was on my radar for this coming weekend, but it looks like the actual radar will light up with plenty of rain over the next couple of days followed by cold temperatures for the weekend, so that one would have been wiped out anyway as well.

Normally at this point you would see the annual complaining by some who always want to make the point that races shouldn't be scheduled for this early in the season anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if some of those same people are now whining about the mandated cancellations of events that they have, in the past, argued that they shouldn't have been scheduled anyway.

After seeing the first cases of community spread in Iowa spring up this past weekend, I knew that Governor Reynolds would soon take the same action that Governor Pritzker did in Illinois and when I saw a couple of tracks announce on Facebook that they were going to push ahead anyway, I actually decided that even if the event went on against the mandate, I would not attend.

For now Iowa events are shut down through March 31st, hopefully that will be it, but we will have to be patient and wait and see.

When we do get back to racing consider this. Nobody is tearing up their equipment here in the early season events, so car counts should be solid. All of us will be itching to go racing and what better time than to take a friend with you to the track as each and every promoter will need to see full grandstands and solid concession sales. And the weather will be warmer than it is now! Might as well be Positive at this point!

For those of you who are subscribers to Dirt On Dirt I was honored to be asked to participate in this week's Fast Talk segment where the Coronavirus affect on racing was the main subject. And, if you aren't a subscriber, now would be a good time to join as you will have a treasure trove of video to watch until you can actually get out to the race track.

If you like pictures, pay a visit to the Positively Racing Facebook page, give it a Like and then scan through the Photo albums that we have on the page, a few of which are below.

Patience Race Fans, we will get to enjoy our favorite sport again soon and, when we do, it will be completely up to us to keep it going!






No comments: