Thursday, April 30, 2020

Statistics 201

Okay, so that title is a bit misleading as I am not doing a "sophomore" session of the Statistics course that I offered up the other day, but I do want to make another comment or two on that freshman level class. In it, I presented factual numbers as provided by the most widely respected source at this time and I illustrated how one specific statistic can look so different depending upon how it is presented. There is no disputing that fact.

I then outlined my way of thinking as to how I am looking at going to races as they spring back to life in the days and weeks to come. That wasn't meant to tell you what you should do, or how you should think as everybody has their own set of circumstances and risk tolerances.

I had a racing friend of mine, whom I have a great respect for, email me yesterday telling me that I need to be careful when I write about something that could effect peoples lives stating that people read and trust the things that I write. So again, my conclusions in Statistics 101 were based upon how I feel about things. You need to make your own decisions based upon how you are looking at things right now.

Another thing to keep in mind about Statistics is that they can change, so when you make a decision based upon them at a specific point in time there is no fault in changing that decision if changes warrant. Basically I am trying to loosely link this to the change of heart that I have on Pay Per View (PPV) racing.

If you read back through this blog over the past several years you will know that I am concerned about the long term effect that PPV will have on the grassroots of dirt track racing, however at this point in time and under our current circumstances, PPV might just be what we need to keep the sport alive in the short term. Proof of that are the number of races that will be run over the next few weeks where the revenue from the PPV broadcasts will be the primary source in order to pay the purse as we try to get something up and running while still being as safe as possible with the virus.
Timmy Current from his 2011 All Iowa Points Stock Car Championship season - Barry Johnson photo

So as proof that hell sometimes does freeze over, something that I never thought that you would see on the Back Stretch, following are the Pay Per View events and their providers that I am currently aware of and I encourage you to support the event(s) of your choice. (Note: I will add to the list below as I see them come up)

Tonight, Thursday April 30th

Tri-County Racetrack, Brasstown NC, Super Late Model live to subscribers to DirtOnDirt

Friday May 1st

Mississippi Thunder Speedway, Fountain City WI, Peaceful Protest Race live on RacinDirt

Lancaster Speedway, Lancaster SC, Carolina Clash Late Models live to subscribers to DirtOnDirt

Southern Oklahoma Speedway, Ardmore OK, spectator attendance with social distancing, live PPV on SpeedShift

Saturday May 2nd

Lee County Speedway, Donnellson IA, Darkside Spring Fling live on DoneRightTV

Boyd's Speedway, Ringgold GA, Super Late Models live to subscribers to DirtOnDirt

Southern Oklahoma Speedway, Ardmore OK, spectator attendance with social distancing, live PPV on SpeedShift

Sunday May 3rd

Cherokee Speedway, Gaffney SC, Super Late Models live on Speed51

Friday May 8th

Scotland County Speedway, Memphis MO, Spring Nationals, spectator attendance with social distancing, live PPV on XR

Knoxville Raceway, Knoxville IA, World of Outlaws NOS Energy Sprint Cars live on DIRTvision

Lee County Speedway, Donnellson IA, live PPV on SpeedShift

Park Jefferson Speedway, Jefferson SD, Spring Nationals, spectator attendance with social distancing, live PPV on SpeedShift

Saturday May 9th

Scotland County Speedway, Memphis MO, Spring Nationals, spectator attendance with social distancing, live PPV on XR

Federated Auto Parts Raceway at I-55, Pevely MO, spectator attendance with social distancing, live PPV on Floracing

Lee County Speedway, Donnellson IA, live PPV on SpeedShift

Park Jefferson Speedway, Jefferson SD, Spring Nationals, spectator attendance with social distancing, live PPV on SpeedShift

Hamilton County Speedway, Webster City IA, details to be announced

I am hoping to take in a couple of these events in person over the next ten days and I hope that you support the sport either by tuning in to one or more of the events listed above, or if you are comfortable in doing so, by attending one of the events that allows spectators under social distancing guidelines.

Stay well, stay safe, and let's enjoy some dirt track racing!

No comments: