Saturday, June 18, 2016

Schulz Makes Late Move To Take Invaders Win At Eldon

The Wapello County Fair in Eldon delivered another fun night of racing on Friday as John Schulz got by Chris Martin on a late restart to win the Shottenkirk.com Sprint Invaders show at the Super Half Mile. The move by Schulz was the fifth lead change in the twenty-lap main event among four drivers as Jerrod Schneiderman and Cody Wehrle also swapped the lead early on. I am going to refer you to the official story and results from the night written by my colleague Bill Wright, so please do click the link and check it out at his new site OpenWheel101.

Brad Havel was the winner of the Sport Compact feature besting Brandon Housley and Kyle Boyd. Nick Ulin won both 25-lap races for the Iowa Sportsman Series and Terry Gallaher made a last lap pass of "Thunder" Klunder to win the vintage Sprint Car event in front of an enthusiastic county fair crowd.

So that makes two fun nights in a row for me at the Wapello County Fair in Eldon and you really have to give a tip of the hat to the crew who put on the races there. Keep in mind that this is a "part-time" bunch here although some of them do work regularly at other tracks and have obviously learned well from others. Corey Benge, J.D. Wheaton, Ron Potts, Jeff Kropf, Jason Riegel and I'm sure many others whom I do not know of all worked hard on behalf of the fair and should definitely take great pride in what they accomplished. Several of them thanked me for the story that I wrote about Thursday's races and all I could say was "you deserved it". This race fan, and all of those others in attendance were truly appreciative.

A Saturday night trip remains a possibility but not a certainty at this point, but I do know that I will be at the Iowa State Fair Speedway in Des Moines on Wednesday June 22nd for the next Shottenkirk.com Sprint Invaders show that will also feature the Racesaver 305's. Hope to see you there!

No comments: